Kentucky Power Windstorm Update
Saturday, April 1, 2023, 9:30 a.m.
A high wind warning is in effect for Kentucky Power’s service territory until 6 p.m. today. The windstorm will bring frequent 50-60 mph gusts, with 65+ mph peak gusts likely.
After last night’s thunderstorms, there are approximately 430 customers without power and 100 active outages. High winds are expected to move through our territory today. Sustained winds are expected with frequent wind gusts from 50-60 mph. This will most likely cause downed trees and power outages.
Storm Response Efforts
Kentucky Power crews, contractors, business partners and external resources will be ready to assess damage and restore power when it is safe to do so.
Customers are urged to prepare for power outages. Being prepared ahead of the storm is the first step to keeping your home and family safe.
- Make a plan in the event a power outage occurs. Check with those who are elderly, have children or have medical conditions to ensure they have a plan; and don’t forget about pets.
- Charge devices such as phones, laptops, portable chargers and other electronics that will help you stay connected.
- Prepare an emergency kit. At a minimum, include non-perishable food, water, a flashlight, batteries, a battery-powered radio, a first-aid kit and necessary medications.
- Stay away from all downed power lines! Downed lines can carry an electric current that can cause serious or even fatal injuries. If you encounter a fallen wire, keep yourself and others away from it and anything it may be touching. Call 911 and Kentucky Power immediately at 1-800-572-1113 to report.
- Fallen trees are likely to occur. Be aware of the potential for trees and overhanging limbs to fall without warning. The previous rains have made the ground soggy which means trees can fall more easily, especially with the strong winds expected.
- Additional safety tips are posted at www.KentuckyPower.com/safety.
For More Information
- Customers can get specific information about the outages affecting their accounts via text message and/or email by subscribing to Kentucky Power outage alerts. To sign up, please visitwww.KentuckyPower.com/alerts.
- Customers can report outages and check out the latest restoration information for their account anytime by downloading the app, www.KentuckyPower.com/app.
- Customers can also report to our Customer Operations Center at 1-800-572-1113.
- Restoration Information also is posted on Facebook and on Twitter or @KentuckyPower.
Next update: Saturday, April 1, 2023, at 6:30 p.m.