BOARD OF TRUSTEES DISCUSS DOLLY PARTON’S ‘IMAGINATION LIBRARY’
FORMER TRUSTEE OBERLICK CHOSEN BY CURRENT BOARD TO REPLACE JOHN OSBORNE…Name will be sent to Fiscal Court for approval
By Susan Salyer
On May 8, 2023 The Lawrence County Public Library had its Regular Board Meeting at the LCPL in Louisa, Kentucky at 5PM. LCPL President John Osborne was present along with Vice President Susie Chambers, Secretary Scott Osborn, Treasurer Kim Burchett. Absent from the meeting was Marc Lester.
LCPL Director Carlie Pelfrey discussed the Budget Draft with the Board Trustees. Pelfrey stated that revenue is down from last year. There were no figures available. Also the Tax Rate will be lowered again this year making it 7 years in a row that the LCPL takes the compensating rate.
The actual tax rate taken by the library will not be changed under the proposed budget.
Pelfrey also mentioned that she would leave lines open on the budget for any changes. The Board decided to revisit the Budget at the next Regular Scheduled Board Meeting on June 12, 2023. It is due July 1.
After the passage of Senate Bill 167 last year, the budget and any new trustee must be approved by the Lawrence County Fiscal Court.
Pelfrey stated that she received five applications for Board of Trustee positions left open when President John Osborne’s term ends in June 30, 2023. Osborne ‘retired’ last month effective June 30. The Board then had to decide who to choose from the applicants. LCPL President John Osborne made a motion for George Oberlick to be the newest Board of Trustee and Scott Osborn 2nd the Motion, None Opposed. The names of the remaining four applicants were not discussed.
Oberlick has served two terms in the recent past and has had a major input on the operation of the LCPL.
During the discussion of Board of Trustee terms, John Osborne’s term will be over June 30, 2023. Board Trustee Marc Lester’s term will end in 2024. In 2025 Kim Burchett and Susie Chambers terms will end. They can be re-appointed for a maximum of two terms.
Feeding program is ‘one of a kind’ in Kentucky
The Summer Feeding Program at the LCPL will begin the day after Lawrence County Schools let out, on Tuesday May 23, 2023. Librarian Pelfrey stated that the library just got the approval on May 8, 2023 from the USDA for the go ahead. LCPL is the only library in the State of Kentucky to have a feeding program. Pelfrey stated that help from the County School System, which no longer has a summer feeding program after COVID, or anyone else interested would be welcomed.
The meals will be provided by Dees Dairy Drive Inn again this year.
DOLLY PARTON’S IMAGINATION LIBRARY COMING TO LAWRENCE COUNTY?
LCPL Trustee Susie Chambers stated that a local private club was interested in partnering with the Library to sponsor Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library which is a book gifting program that mails free, high-quality books to children from birth to age five, no matter their family’s income.
The Library Board has nixed the idea in the past questioning selection of the books given to children. LCPL is the only library in the area and one of the few left in Kentucky that does not sponsor the award winning program.
The cost of the books is estimated at less than $3,000 per year depending on the number of children. The library has also said the cost is too much for their budget so the local school district has offered to help. LCPL Trustee Scott Osborn, who is a teacher at LCHS with close ties to the administration said, “As of Friday the LC School System is on board.”
But Chambers said the private club would require approval by the club’s board of all books gifted by Imagination Library before they would participate.
The trustees present said they would discuss the matter with the schools and private clubs interested in participating. SEE LAZER REPORT ON THE PROGAM IN AUGUST OF ’22 HERE
CARLIE SAYS…Board update
LCPL Director Pelfrey discussed the following events at the Library in April 2023:
May 8, 2023 Board Update
• April 2023 Door Count: 6,977
• April 2023 Programming:
• # of programs in person 28 (on site) 14 (off site)
• # of attendance in person 1,146 (on site) 314 (off site)
• Total # of programs: 42
• Total attendance: 1,460
April 2023 Special Programs:
• Saturday 4/22 Dino ROAR Blaine: 59
• Monday 4/24 Louisa East Event: 125
• Friday 4/28 LWES Preschool Registration: 133
• Saturday 4/15 Roscoe Goose – Kentucky Humanities Council: 6 Saturday 4/22 Dino ROAR: 392 Thursday 4/27 Teen Council: 3 Saturday 4/29 Diamond Art: 15
• April 2023 Book Giveaways: 818 (Story Hour and Lobby Table)
• Staff Reviews – Pelfrey stated she will have staff review results at the June Board of Trustee Meeting.
• Roof/Parking Lot – There had been some damage to the roof of the Library due to heavy winds and that project should be started this week.
• Cleaning Company – The Library is taking applications for a cleaning company starting immediately.
1. April 2023 Minutes – Motion by Susie Chambers 2nd by Kim Burchett. None Opposed.
2. March 2023 Financials – Motion by Scott Osborn 2nd by John Osborne. None Opposed.
3. 2023-2024 Budget Draft – Motion to revisit Budget at June Board Meeting. Motion by Susie Chambers 2nd by Scott Osborn.
4. Trustee Nominations – George Oberlick was chosen by the current LCPL Board of Trustees. Motion by John Osborne 2nd by Scott Osborn.
5. Board Update – LCPL Director Carlie Pelfrey gave the Board an update on the Feeding Program and Library events during the month.
6. Public Comment – None
Adjourn – Motion by Scott Osborn 2nd by John Osborne.
The next Lawrence County Library Board of Trustee Meeting will be on Monday June 12, 2023.