TOM BRADLEY NEWEST LC TOURISM MEMBER
By Susan Salyer
The LC Tourism Community had a Regular Scheduled Monthly Meeting on Monday November 20, 2023 at 5:30PM at the Fred M. Vinson Building, 315 E. Madison Street, Downtown 2nd Floor, Louisa, Kentucky.
LC Tourism Commissioner Wes Kingsmore, was in attendance along with members, Secretary Susie Chambers, Vince Doty, Debbie Hill, Chris Jobe, Christy Moore and Tom Bradley. Treasurer Brenda Hardwick was absent.
Kingsmore called the meeting to order, then introduced the newest member of the LC Tourism, Tom Bradley. Bradley is a Project Engineer at Bluegrass Engineering, PLLC. and will help with the LC Tourism grants.
LC Tourism Members had a ‘Soft Grand Opening’ at the Lawrence County Park, Route 32, for the ‘Storybook Trails’ then the trail was opened for everyone on Friday, November 17, 2023, ‘National Take a Hike Day’. LC Clerk, Chris Jobe and a crew from the county went out to mark the locations for the Story Book Trail. The trail is one mile round trip so it should be very family friendly.
The winners were drawn for ‘Trail Day’ for prizes. They are as follows:
- Leland Adkins – Hiking Poles
- Ann Setser – Hammock
- Eddie Caudill – Hammock
- Shirley Delong – Backpack
- Greg Delong – Camping Outdoor Backpack
LeAnn Rowe – First Aid Family pack
- Donna Blankenship – Water Bottle
- Amy Whelan – Water Bottle
- Steve Bradley – First Aid Kit
- Nick Tackettt – Fanny Pack
- Ernie Whelan – Hat
- Danielle Caudill – Toboggan
- Gary Setser – Tobaggan
- Danielle Adkins – Toboggan
- Landyn Robinson – Toboggan
The LC Tourism Commission discussed the ‘FLEX Grant’ in great detail. A Motion was made by Susie Chambers to approve Tom Bradley as the spokesperson for the grant, with a second by Chris Jobe. The grant deadline is Friday, December 8, 2023. This grant can be used for Apps, Gazebo, or a Town Calendar, etc.
The LC Tourism had a great turn-out for the Annual ‘Turkey Trot.’ 179 walkers and runners gathered in Louisa, Kentucky early Thursday, November 23, 2023 for the ‘Turkey Trot.’ The event raised more than $6,000 for the Lawrence County Schools backpack program. The group also collected nonperishable food items to be donated to the area food pantry. LC Tourism Commission
- Kingsmore said, “We appreciate everyone who helped and that they are blessed with a loving and giving community.” In addition, the LC Tourism spent $500 on the purchase of a start/finish sign and time clock. The Motion was made by Susie Chambers 2nd by Christy Moore. None Opposed.* The LC Tourism Commission discussed the ‘Country Christmas’ which will be on Saturday December 2, 2023, at the LC Community Center, Louisa, Kentucky. A Motion was made to fund up to $150, made by Debbie Hill 2nd by Susie Chambers. None Opposed.* The Annual Christmas Parade will be on Thursday November 30, 2023. Activities to follow in the ‘Main Street Park,’ Louisa, Kentucky.
*There will be a a Christmas decoration contest for business and residential in Louisa, Kentucky. Ken Akers has already purchased trophies for the event. If interested contact Brenda Hardwick to register. (606) 638-4581.
The Tourism decided a date for the planning budget meeting which will be on Monday, November 27, 2023 at the Fred M Vinson Museum, Downtown, 2nd Floor, Louisa Kentucky, at 5:30PM.
1. Opening Prayer
- Call to Order
- Special Guests – Welcome new member: Tom Bradley
- Trail Opening-Storybook Trail – Officially opened on Friday, November 17, 2023. Located out Route 32 at the Lawrence County Park, Louisa, Kentucky.
- Trail Day – LC Tourism drew names for prizes for the ‘Trail Day Event.’
- Grant Updates – Tom Bradley named spokesperson for the ‘FLEX Grant.’ Motion by Susie Chambers 2nd by Chris Jobe. None Opposed.
- Approval of October 2023 Minutes – Motion by Chris Jobe 2nd by Debbie Hill. None Opposed.
- Approval of October 2023 Financial Report – Motion by Susie Chambers 2nd by Debbie Hill. None Opposed.
- Turkey Trot – Discussed purchase of start/finish and time clock. Motion by Susie Chambers 2nd by Christy Moore. None Opposed.
- Country Christmas is Saturday, Dec. 2, at the LC Community Center, starts at noon, if we want to participate we can order coloring books and crayons. Would be around $72 to get enough to distribute to each child. Motion was made by Debbie Hill to donate up to $150 2nd by Susie Chambers. None Opposed.
- Christmas Parade – 6 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 30. Activities to follow in the Main Street Park.
- Christmas decoration contest for business and residential, Ken Akers has already purchased the trophies. You have to register with Brenda Hardwick at (606) 638-4581. Motion by Chris Jobe 2nd by Tom Bradley. None Opposed.
- Set date for planning budget meeting for 2024- Monday November 27, 2023 at the Fred M. Vinson Museum, Louisa, Kentucky.
- Public Comments and Adjourn – Motion to Adjourn by Debbie Hill 2nd by Chris Jobe. None Opposed.###The next regular scheduled monthly meeting will be on Monday, December 18, 2023 at 5:30PM at the Fred M. Vinson Museum, 315 E. Madison Street, Downtown 2nd Floor, Louisa, Kentucky.
Lawrence County Tourism Minutes, October 16, 2023
Prepared by: Susie Chambers, Secretary
The Lawrence County Tourism Commission met on Monday, October 16th at the Fred Vinson Tourism Office at 5:30 pm. Members in attendance were Chairman Wes Kingsmore, Brenda Hardwick, Debbie Hill, Christy Moore, Chris Jobe and Susie Chambers. Others attending were Vince Doty, Susan Salyer, Crystal Smith, Jessica Webb, Pat & Frank Kincaid and James Barnette. The meeting was called to order by Wes and he also gave the opening prayer.
Crystal and Jessica are interested in being a part of our group through an events committee.
With a motion by Brenda and a second by Susie we voted to have them be a part of our event planning. Pat Kincaid then spoke to our group about the Community Chrlstmas Party scheduled for December 2nd. They had over 350 attendees last year. We have budgeted to help sponsor this event. Frank Kincaid said the American Legion Christmas dinner will be the night of December 2nd and all veterans are invited. He also told us that members of the American Legion will visit 8 schools on Veterans Day and explain to the students the meaning of the day.
Under our business portion of the meeting, the secretary’s report was submitted and with a motion by Chris and a second by Brenda it was approved. All in favor. Brenda presented our financial report showing a current balance of $13,203.39. Susie made a motion to accept the report with a second by Debbie. All in favor.
In old business we received good feedback from the Heritage Harvest Tour. The Harvest Gala was a really nice evening, We are waiting to find out how much money was made.
Under new business we are planning for the Thanksgiving day Turkey Trot. Wes is working on a design for the shirts. We will donate all food items collected that day to the local food bank and any dollar amount to the school resource centers. November 17th will be the grand opening of the Storybook Trail. We will invite children from local elementary schools and partners of this to attend, Then on Saturday the 18th we will have a hikers day ending at the Lawrence County Park Amphitheater with music and a bonfire. We will try to roll Camper Appreciation Day into this event. We have not applied for any new grants yet. We will have a budget meeting on Monday, Oct 30th at 5:30 pm at our tourism office.
With a motion by Susie and a second by Debbie we voted to pay William McDaniel $100.00 for putting up some of the signs for the Harvest Tour. All in favor.
We have submitted Thomas Bradley and Elaine Mabry to the fiscal court as possibilities for our board seat opening.
We amended the August minutes to note that Keith Chaffin resigned as a tourism member at our August meeting.
With no further business our meeting was adjourned with a motion by Chris and a second by Debbie.