OFFICE OF THE MAYOR HAROLD E. SLONE PROCLAIMS FIRE PREVENTION WEEK…
By Susan Salyer
The Louisa City Council Regular Meeting was held on Tuesday October 10, 2023 at 6PM at Louisa City Hall, 215 N Main Cross Street, Louisa, Kentucky. City of Louisa Mayor Harold Slone was in attendance along with City Council Members, Gary Robertson, Caleb Farley, Rose Lester, Coty Roe and Keith Chaffin. Council Member Joey McClanahan was absent due to illness.
“…Office of the Mayor Harold E. Slone Mayor of the CITY OF LOUISA, KENTUCKY does hereby proclaim October 8-14, 2023, as Fire Prevention Week throughout this city, and I urge all the people of Louisa to check their kitchens for fire hazards and use safe cooking practices during Fire Prevention Week 2023, and to support the many public safety activities and efforts of Louisa’s fire and emergency services,” Mayor Slone ‘PROCLAIMED’… (SEE VIDEO)
After the Proclamation of Fire Prevention Week, City of Louisa Fire Chief Eddie Preston and Louisa Mayor Harold E. Slone awarded 3 Louisa Firefighters with new turn out gear. Noah Burchett, Luke Wellman and Anthony Caudill were all present and awarded at the Louisa City Council Meeting. (SEE VIDEO)
Lazer photos by Susan Salyer
- The Minutes for September 12, 2023 were passed with Gary Robertson making the Motion and seconded by Caleb Farley. None Opposed. (See below)
- A Resolution for Funding for Cyber Security was passed with a Motion by Coty Roe and second by Keith Chaffin. The Council Members accepted a Grant for the City Of Louisa for $5,000 in Phase I. Now Phase II will be started by having someone diagnose the computer system for the City of Louisa to make sure the utility software is 100% safe. Mayor Slone will keep the Louisa City Council Members updated as the next phase continues.
The Second Reading of Ordinance 2023-07 setting the tax rate, was passed with a Motion by Caleb Farley and second by Gary Robertson. The rate was set at the September Louisa City Council Regular Meeting at 23.8 cents per $100 which is the state compensating rate and a little lower than the previous year.
Mayor Slone discussed moving forward with the Louisa Fire Station Annex project and it was time to sign the contract with the architectural services that will be provided by Prospective Studio of Fort Thomas, KY. Prospective studios was chosen by the council last year after proper procurement steps were taken. Mayor Slone explained that Prospective Studio had subcontracted with Westek Development LLC., 504 N Clay Street, Louisa, Kentucky to do some of the civil engineering and onsite contract inspection portions. Mayor Slone pointed out that since Prospective was chosen but before the contract was signed an employee of Westek had been appointed to council and therefore he felt the need to disclose the relationship and have the new council vote on the contract with councilman Roe abstaining from the vote which follows the city’s ethics guidelines. City attorney Adam’s agreed that this was the proper procedure to follow. Motion by Rose Lester 2nd by Keith Chaffin. Coty Roe abstained from the vote. None Opposed. (SEE VIDEO)
* The next item on the agenda was to authorize the mayor to sign an agreement with KYEM for the Phase 1 award from FEMA for the initial design, development and property acquisition for the new wastewater treatment plant being proposed. Mayor Slone explained this was only the phase 1 award consisting of $604,000 dollars. The total award expected after phase 1 is complete is $6.3 million dollars. Slone pointed out that the new treatment plant will be close to $12 million dollars but this award from FEMA is a big step toward the project and spoke of additional funds he is currently seeking. Motion by Keith Chaffin 2nd by Coty Roe. (SEE VIDEO)
- Lastly , the mayor spoke to council about a potential purchase of a new street sweeper multi use machine which he felt would be a great benefit to the city. “This machine will drastically help our employee’s keep the streets, curbs, and drains cleaned” Slone said. He also pointed out this is a multi use machine and can assist with snow removal as well. “Its small enough to use on the smaller streets safely” Slone pointed out. He advised council this machine was on the state contract so it would not have to be bid. He invited council members to be present the next morning at 8:30 am to see a demo of the machine. Council agreed that the mayor , street employees and council members that could make it would see the demo of the machine and if it was deemed a good fit for the city a special meeting would be called later to approve the purchase and work out payment details. The cost of the machine was approx $140,000 dollars.
1. Call to Order
2. Approve Minutes for September 12, 2023 – Motion by Gary Robertson 2nd by Caleb Farley. None Opposed
3. Resolution – Funding for Cyber Security – Motion by Coty Roe 2nd by Keith Chaffin. None Opposed.
4. Second Reading of Ordinance 2023-07, “An Ordinance Relating to the Valuation and Taxation of Property Within the City of Louisa.” – Motion by Caleb Farley 2nd by Gary Robertson. Roll Call.
5. Approve Contract for Architecture Services – Motion by Rose Lester 2nd by Keith Chaffin. None Opposed. Coty Roe abstained
6. Authorize Mayor Slone to sign paperwork for Wastewater Plant Relocation, Phase I – Motion by Keith Chaffin 2nd by Coty Roe. None Opposed.
7. Audience Comments – None
8. Executive Session – City of Louisa Attorney Eldred E. (Bud) Adams announced that the City of Louisa is interested in purchasing 2 properties, but no action will be taken at this time.
9. Adjourn – Motion by Caleb Farley 2nd by Gary Robertson.
MINUTES FROM SEPTEMBER REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
Louisa City Council
July 11, 2023–7:00pm
Louisa City Hall
Present: Mayor Harold Slone
Rose Lester, Council, Caleb Farley, Council Robert J McClanahan, Council, Keith Chaffin, Council. Coty Roe, Council Absent: Gary Robertson, Council
Mayor Slone called the meeting to order. Joey McClanahan led the pledge. Keith Chaffin led the prayer.
Joey McClanahan made the motion to approve the minutes for June 13, 2023. Keith Chaffin seconded. The vote was unanimous.
Caleb Farley made the motion to pass the second reading of Ordinance 2023-05, “Amendment to Ordinance Relating to Water and Sewer Rates”. Keith Chaffin seconded. The vote was Farley, yes; McClanahan, yes Lester, yes; Roe, Yes and Chaffin, yes. The vote was unanimous.
Rose Lester made the motion to pass the second reading of Ordinance 2023-06, Ordinance Changing the Meeting Time of The Louisa City Council”. Keith Chaffin seconded. The vote was Chaffin, yes; Roe, yes; Lester, yes; McClanahan, yes; and Farley, yes. The vote was unanimous.
Caleb Farley made the motion to approve Resolution 2023-05. This Resolution states that the City of Louisa in collaboration with Lawrence County recognizes the importance of promoting recovery and supporting individuals and families affected by substance use disorders. Joey McClanahan seconded. The vote was 4 yes and 1 no with Rose Lester voting no. The motion passed.
Joey McClanahan made the motion to approve a Professional Services Contract Agreement with Kentucky Engineering Group. This project needs a relocation person, and the grant will pay for this. Coty Roe seconded. The vote was unanimous.
Caleb Farley made the motion to approve signing an agreement for professional services with Kentucky Engineering Group. This is to relocate the water lines behind the new soccer field on Town Hill. Joey McClanahan seconded. The vote was unanimous.
Caleb Farley made the motion to go into executive session. Joey McClanahan seconded. The vote was unanimous.
Rose Lester made the motion to go into open session. Keith Chaffin seconded. The vote was unanimous.
While in executive session, council discussed signing a Surface Site Easement and a Temporary Surface Use Agreement with Columbia Gas. Coty Roe made the motion and Joey McClanahan seconded. The vote was unanimous.
There will be a meeting of council on July 25 at 6pm, to discuss Fire Station 1 renovations.
Joey McClanahan made the motion to adjourn. Caleb Farley seconded. The vote was unanimous.
_______________________________________ Ended 8:15 pm
The next Regular Scheduled Monthly Meeting for City of Louisa Council will be on Tuesday November 14, 2023 at 6PM.