Pictured (L-R) Front row Secretary Scott Osborn, President John Osborne. Back row Vice President Susie Chambers, Marc Lester and Treasurer Kim Burchett. (Lazer photo by Susan Salyer)
John Osborne’s tenure over, fiscal court will decide new member
LOUISA, KY. — The Lawrence County Public Library had a Regular Board Meeting at the Lawrence County Public Library on June 12, 2023 at 5PM. This was the last scheduled meeting for Board of Trustees President John Osborne, who has retired from the board effective June 30.
The board has voted to recommend George Oberlick, a former member, to replace Osborne. In the board’s May, 2023 minutes it is posted that Sarah Roe was also nominated since the board is required to submit two names to the fiscal court. Ms. Roe’s name was not mentioned at the meeting.
The Lawrence County fiscal court is expected to decide whether to place Oberlick or Roe or someone else they prefer, on the Library board at next week’s regular meeting.
Dolly coming to Lawrence County
LCPL Director Carlie Pelfrey said, “We have $15,000 earmarked for an Outreach Program for Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library.” She recommended the board leave open a line item for the funds.
The issue has been discussed for several months with the Library board now joining the Lawrence Co. BOE in pledging support for the program which is estimated to cost just over $40,000 over a five year period.
Each child from birth to five years old will receive a free book each month. A Louisa private organization is still deciding if it will support Dolly’s program, LCPL Board Vice-President Susie Chambers said.
Dental Insurance raise, new software coming, parking lot repaving gets just one bid
“Also, we have an antiquated software system at the library, so we anticipate purchasing a new IOS system which will run everything.” No dollar amount was given for the new system.
Pelfrey said, “KACO Health Insurance has raised 3.9%, the current employee health insurance is $26.91 and is now $28.26. The premium for dental insurance went up $30.” The motions were passed on both health/dental premiums.
Pelfrey said, “The library parking lot needs resurfacing. I called 5 companies for a bid on the lot. Three companies responded but never showed up. The only bid received was from Richard Preston from Lawrence County, Kentucky. The motion was passed.
June 12, 2023 Board Update
• May 2023 Door Count: 17,702
• 2023 Summer Feeding May 23 – 31, 2023
• In House: Breakfast, 420 Lunch, 980 Total: 1,400
• Outreach: 220
• Grand Total: 1,620 Hot Meals
2022 May Total: 343
(In 2022, all meals were in-house.)
• Snack Bag Totals: In-house 1,421 Outreach 240Grand Total: 1,661 Snack Bags
• May 2023 Programming:
• # of programs in person 45 (on site) 41 (off site)
• # of attendance in person 3,802 (on site) 1,547 (off site)
• Total # of programs: 86
• Total attendance: 5,349
• May 2023 Book Giveaways: 1,517 (Story Hour, Lobby Table, Outreach)
• Trustee Submissions
• Cleaning Company
1. May 2023 Minutes – Motion by Scott Osborn 2nd by Susie Chambers.
2. April 2023 Financials – Motion by Susie Chambers 2nd by Kim Burchett.
3. 2023-2024 Budget Draft – Final Review – Motion by Susie Chambers 2nd by John Osborne.
4. 2023-2024 Health/Dental Renewals – Health Renewals Motion by Scott Osborn 2nd by Marc Lester. Dental Renewals Motion by Marc Lester 2nd by John Osborne.
5. Staff Reviews – Motion by Susie Chambers 2nd by Scott Osborn.
6. Parking Lot Resurfacing Bids – Motion by Marc Lester 2nd by Scott Osborn.
7. Board Update – LCPL Director Carlie Pelfrey discussed the feeding and programs schedule and totals for May 2023.