By Susan Salyer
The LC Fiscal Court has a Special Meeting on January 3, 2023 at 1 PM at the Lawrence County Courthouse Downtown Louisa, Kentucky. Judge Executive Phillip Carter was in attendance with LC Magistrates Rick Blackburn, Michael (Mouse) Halcomb, David Pinson and John Scaggs. County Attorney John Osborne was ready to advise the fiscal court in his first meeting after winning election in November.
1. Opening Prayer
2. Pledge of Allegiance
3. Call Meeting to Order
All of the following were unanimous votes with no dissent.
4. Approved Administrative Appointments – No changes. Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by Mouse Halcomb. No discussion. No names given.
5. Approved & Set Salaries – No changes. Motion by Mouse Halcomb 2nd by John Scaggs. No public discussion and no information of salaries. (All salaries for the fiscal court and county are listed in Lazer archives)
6. Approved Bank Account Depositories – No changes. Motion by Mouse Halcomb 2nd by Rick Blackburn. Names not listed .
7. Approved Bank Signatures – No changes. Motion by Mouse Halcomb 2nd by Rick Blackburn. No discussion no names given.
8. Set Regular Monthly Court Meeting Day and Time – No changes. Motion by Mouse Halcomb 2nd by David Pinson. Meetings remain at 10:00am on the third Tuesday of each month.
9. Approved Bonds of Elected Officials – County Clerk Chris Jobe said, “I have bonds for myself, LC Sheriff Chuck Jackson, LC Judge Executive Phil Carter, LC Jailer Roger Lee Jordan and LC Coroner Wes Heston, all the other office holders have not submitted bonds yet.” Motion to approve bonds received. Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by Mouse Halcomb.
10. Approved to Give Judge the Authority to Sign, Accept and Administer all Grants– No changes. Motion by Mouse Halcomb 2nd by Rick Blackburn.
11. Approve Recurring Expense List and Judge to Purchase Up to $29,000 – No changes. Motion by David Pinson 2nd by Rick Blackburn.
12. Approve Applicant Agents – Discussion included the agents Vince Doty, Sabrina Cantrell and Shawna Marcum to take over the courts business if the current judge was unable. Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by David Pinson.
13. Continuity of Government KRS 67.725 – No discussion. Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by Mouse Halcomb.
14. Adjourn – Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by Mouse Halcomb.
NO PUBLIC COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS ALLOWED
The next LC Fiscal Court Meeting will be on Tuesday January 17, 2023
(Editor’s Note: Judge/Exec. Carter attempted to name Blaine special sheriff’s deputy Daniel Castle as the new chairman of the Big Sandy Detention Center since “this is our year to have the chairman” but was interrupted by Deputy Vince Doty who said “there are still some details to look at on this appointment”. Castle has served as Lawrence County’s representative to the BSRDC board in the past and has served as chairman. Carter said Castle is very knowledgeable of detention center issues.)