Kentucky Power Windstorm Update
Saturday, April 1, 2023, 6:30 p.m.
A high wind advisory was issued for Kentucky Power’s service territory today. Sustained winds with gusts 50-60 mph began earlier this morning will continue into the evening. The advisory was canceled at 6 p.m. though high winds are still affecting some areas.
A windstorm continues making its way across Kentucky Power’s service territory. Currently, 20,300 customers are without power with 560 active outages. The majority of outages are in the following counties: Breathitt, Floyd, Knott, Leslie, Letcher, Martin, Perry and Pike with scattered outages in multiple other counties. Our service territory experienced a rapid increase in outages as the high winds moved into the southeastern region of Kentucky late this afternoon.
Storm Response Efforts
Kentucky Power crews, contractors, business partners and external resources are assessing damage and restoring power as quickly and safely as possible.
- Stay away from all downed power lines! Downed lines can carry an electric current that can cause serious or even fatal injuries. If you encounter a fallen wire, keep yourself and others away from it and anything it may be touching. Call 911 and Kentucky Power immediately at 1-800-572-1113 to report.
- Fallen trees are likely to occur. Be aware of the potential for trees and overhanging limbs to fall without warning. The previous rains have made the ground soggy which means trees can fall more easily, especially with the strong winds predicted.
- Additional safety tips are posted at www.KentuckyPower.com/safety.
For More Information
- Customers can get specific information about the outages affecting their accounts via text message and/or email by subscribing to Kentucky Power outage alerts. To sign up, please visitwww.KentuckyPower.com/alerts.
- Customers can report outages and check out the latest restoration information for their account anytime by downloading the app, www.KentuckyPower.com/app.
- Customers can also report to our Customer Operations Center at 1-800-572-1113.
- Restoration Information also is posted on Facebook and on Twitter or @KentuckyPower.
Next update: Sunday, April 2, 2023, at 10:30 a.m.