Click on fiscal court for video
By Susan Salyer
On Tuesday, August 15, 2023 The Lawrence County Fiscal Court had a Regular Scheduled Monthly Meeting at the Lawrence County Courthouse Downtown, 2nd Floor, 122 S Main Cross Street, Louisa, Kentucky at 10AM. LC Judge Executive Phillip B. Carter was in attendance along with LC Magistrates, David Pinson, Rick Blackburn, Michael (Mouse) Halcomb and John Scaggs.
Bids for Surplus Auction of Equipment and Supplies were opened and discussed by the LC Judge and LC Magistrates. The list below shows who made the bid and the amount.
1. Dirt Slingers Excavation LLC $1,000
2. Johnny Green $1,600
3. No name $ 565
4. Mark Ryan $1,003
Johnny Green won the bid on the Air Compressor for $1,600 Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by David Pinson. Roll Call.
1. Dirt Slingers Excavation $2,000
2. James Used Cars $2,137
3. Johnny Green $2,200
Rick Blackburn made the Motion to pass the bid on the Roll Back 2nd by David Pinson. Roll Call.
White International Dump Truck
1. Johnny Green $2,100
David Pinson made the Motion not to accept the bid 2nd by Michael (Mouse) Halcomb. Roll Call
Yellow International Dump Truck
1. Johnny Green $20,200
Michael (Mouse) Halcomb made the Motion not to accept the bid 2nd by John Scaggs. Roll Call.
2004 Mack White Dump Truck
1. Johnny Green $22,250
Rick Blackburn made the Motion to accept the bid from Johnny Green 2nd by Michael Mouse Halcomb. Roll Call.
1987 Ford F-100
1. Keith Cantrell $2,051.56
Michael (Mouse) Halcomb made the Motion to accept the bid from Keith Cantrell 2nd by David Pinson. Roll Call.
1. Keith Cantrell (Power Box) $255.56
2. Keith Cantrell (Drag Box) $505.65
Michael (Mouse) Halcomb made the Motion to accept the bid on both items to Keith Cantrell 2nd by David Pinson. Roll Call.
There was no discussion by the Lawrence County Fiscal Court on the following Agenda items; Approve Bills and Approve Treasurers Report. LC Treasurer Josh Puckett was in the courtroom and spoke to Phil Carter privately during the meeting, but Carter never mentioned the bills or Treasurers Report.
Neil Wilson and Nelson Kelly were appointed on July 18, 2023 by the LC Fiscal Court. They were sent out to conduct a view of Cougar Road. There is a ‘No End’ sign to public travel which would result in closure of the road. So Cougar Road will be closed to the public. Motion by Michael (Mouse) Halcomb 2nd by Rick Blackburn. Roll Call.
LC Judge Executive Phil Carter named James Allen Pauley Barker as the newest Board of Trustees member at the Lawrence County Public Library. The Lazer contacted Mr. Barker and this is his comment.
“I am truly honored and grateful for the news that I have been appointed as the newest Board Trustee at the Lawrence County Public Library. It is with great excitement that I embrace this opportunity to contribute to our community in such a meaningful way. Growing up in Louisa and being a part of this vibrant community has instilled in me a deep appreciation for the importance of education, access to information, and the role that libraries play in fostering lifelong learning. To be entrusted with a position that enables me to support the library’s mission and initiatives is a privilege I hold in high regard. I am eager to collaborate with the fellow trustees, library staff, and community members to ensure that the Lawrence County Public Library continues to be a welcoming and enriching space for all. Through innovative programs, outreach efforts, and a commitment to inclusivity, I am dedicated to enhancing the library’s impact on the lives of our neighbors. Thank you once again for this incredible opportunity. I look forward to contributing my energy, ideas, and dedication to the growth and success of our beloved library.”
James Allen Pauley-Barker
Barker was appointed after the court rejected the library board’s nominees George Oberlick and Sarah Roe.
LC Library Director Carlie Pelfrey had the following statement:
“…CJE (county judge/executive) rejected five names total from the library board for John Osborne’s replacement. He first rejected George Oberlick and Sarah Roe. The board then submitted Lennie Collins, Steve Bradley, and William Spradlin.
All five submitted Trustee Vacancy applications to the library board. All five were then submitted to the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives (KDLA), and all were forwarded from KDLA to the CJE after being vetted by KDLA.
There has been no official communication with the library board from the CJE or fiscal court regarding library board appointments, even after I reached out via email.”
(Editor’s Note: Before the meeting Phillip B. Carter cleared the press table from the courtroom and sent the media 100 feet from the court platform. At the beginning of the meeting Carter motioned with his finger for the BSN newspaper reporter to move away from Lazer publisher Mark Grayson to the other end of the pew — and she did! Carter is apparently attempting to speak only through the “county newspaper” like Putin tries to do in Russia. BTW, there was no mention of the court’s scathing report from Ky. Auditor Michael Harmon which showed Carter has been sending county, state, and federal funds to himself and immediate family members among four other charges.)
1. Opening Prayer
2. Pledge of Allegiance
3. Call Meeting to Order
4. Approve Minutes for July 18, 2023, Regular Meeting – Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by David Pinson.
5. Approve Minutes for July 6, 2023, Special Meeting – Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by Michael Mouse Halcomb.
6. Approve Minutes for July 27, 2023, Special Meeting – Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by Michael (Mouse) Halcomb.
7. Approve Bills – No action. No discussion.
8. Approve Treasurers Report – No action. No discussion.
9. Cancelation and Refund Policy Park Rentals – Not Audible.
10. Open Bids for Surplus Auction of Equipment and Supplies – Bids were opened by magistrates and some bids were accepted, two rejected.
11. Discuss HB1 Grant Resolution Black Top Various Graveled Roads – Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by Michael (Mouse) Halcomb. Roll Call. No mention of which roads will be blacktopped.
12. Resolution for FLEX – Motion by David Pinson 2nd by Rick Blackburn. Roll Call. No discussion.
13. Approve Annual Standing Order to Reapprove Recurring Expenses – Motion by Michael (Mouse) Halcomb 2nd by David Pinson. No discussion.
14. The Report to Viewers Cougar Road – Motion by Michael (Mouse) Halcomb 2nd by Rick Blackburn. Roll Call. All in favor.
15. Appoint Board Members – Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by Michael (Mouse) Halcomb. Roll Call. All in favor. LC Judge Executive named James Allen Pauley Barker to replace President John Osborne from the LC Public Library Board of Trustees. No mention of how many applications were received or if the court had an application process.
16. Public Comments – Carter called on Supt. of LC Schools, Dr. Robbie Fletcher who announced all the dates and times for the sports at Lawrence County.
(There were no other public comments or questions allowed at the meeting.)
17. Adjourn – Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by Michael (Mouse) Halcomb.
The next regular scheduled meeting for the Lawrence County Fiscal Court is on Tuesday, September 19, 2023. The public is invited.