LAWRENCE COUNTY FISCAL COURT NAMES NEW EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT DIRECTOR, TOO
By Susan Salyer
On Tuesday November 22, 2022 the Lawrence County Fiscal Court had a regular scheduled meeting at the LC Courthouse downtown Louisa at 10AM. LC Judge Executive Phil Carter called the meeting to order along with LC Magistrates David Pinson, Rick Blackburn, Mouse Halcomb and John Scaggs.
1. Opening Prayer
2. Pledge of Allegiance
3. Call Meeting to Order
4. Approve Minutes of the October 18, 2022 Meeting – Motion by David Pinson 2nd by Rick Blackburn. No discussion. None opposed.
5. Approve 1st Reading of Budget Amendment #2 – Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by Michael (Mouse) Halcomb. No discussion. None opposed.
6. Approve Treasurer’s Request – Motion by Michael (Mouse) Halcomb 2nd by John Scaggs. No discussion. None opposed.
7. Approve Bills – Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by Michael (Mouse) Halcomb.
8. Approve Treasurer’s Report – Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by John Scaggs. No discussion. None opposed.
9. Approved Sheriff’s 2023 Maximum Salaries for Deputies and Assistants – LC Sheriff Chuck Jackson said, “This is for the maximum payable to the deputies and staff which are the same as last year.” Motion by David Pinson 2nd by Rick Blackburn. None opposed.
10. Approved Sheriff’s 2023 Budget – LC Sheriff Chuck Jackson said, “The budget is the same, nothing has changed.” None opposed.
11. Approved Sheriff’s 2023 State Advancement – LC Sheriff Chuck Jackson said, “As of January 1, we have to have a zero balance so these are the funds we borrow for salaries throughout the year in increments, until taxes are received.” Motion by Michael (Mouse) Halcomb, 2nd by John Scaggs. None opposed.
12. Appointed EMS Director (Travis Hughes) – LC Judge Phil Carter said, “Chris Cox the current Emergency Management Director has left his position. Cox has a job with the State of Kentucky. We want to appoint Travis Hughes as the New Emergency Management Director.” Motion by David Pinson 2nd by Rick Blackburn. None opposed.
13. Approved Blaine Fire Dept. Resolution – Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by David Pinson. Copy of Resolution provided. None opposed. The county is formally accepting responsibility for the completion of a new Blaine Fire dept. and accepted a $750,000 state grant to get started with.
14. Approved Pine Hill burial plots Increase to Single $950 and Double $1,700 – Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by John Scaggs. No discussion. None opposed.
15. Approved Proclamation for Middle School 8th Grade State Champs – Copy of Proclamation provided. Motion by Michael (Mouse) Halcomb 2nd by Rick Blackburn. None opposed. Middle School Football team won state championship this season under the coaching of Tom Frazier.
16. Approved Nurse Practitioner Appreciation Proclamation – Copy of Proclamation provided. Motion by John Scaggs 2nd by David Pinson. None opposed.
17. Recognized the LCHS Football Team and LCHS Cheerleaders – LC Judge Carter said, “We want to show appreciation to the LCHS Football Team and LCHS Cheerleaders for the 2022 Season.”
18. Recognized 3 Lawrence County Resident’s for recent graduation and
becoming Kentucky State Troopers – LC Judge Carter said, “We want to recognize 3 Lawrence Countians Zach Wright, Brett Criswell and Chase Coverdale for becoming KSP Troopers. All 3 have been assigned to KSP Ashland Post 14.”
19. Bid E911 Mapping – LC Judge Carter said, “The E-911 mapping hasn’t been done in 3 years so we need to take bids to complete the project.” All agreed.
20. Public Comments
LC Sheriff Chuck Jackson said, … “Last year we shopped for 60 kids at Christmas and this year we are projecting to shop for 65 kids.”
New LCEM Director Travis Hughes … “I would like to thank everyone for this position and I look forward to serving the community. I have been with the Louisa Police Department for 10 years and this experience will help.
LC Deputy Judge Vince Doty said, “Thank everyone who helped make the LC Haunted Trail a success.”
LC Clerk Chris Jobe said, “We have the election behind us. This year we had new voting machines and we had no problems. The election was a busy time for my staff so I would like to Thank Everyone on my Staff for doing a great job on Election 2022.
Also I wanted to mention, the LC Tourism Committee sponsored the Car Rally and it was a great success. The residents that showed up impressed the drivers and families and the drivers are ready to come back to Lawrence County. The drivers and families are great on our economy in Lawrence County, they spend an estimated $256/ day. Also I want to Thank Local Police, Fire, Search and Rescue and EM and Ham Radio Operator’s for helping with the event.”
LC Attorney Elect Johnny W. Osborne said, “Thank you to everyone for your vote and support. I’d like to introduce my Assistant County Attorney Josh Puckett who is currently manning the office until January 1, 2023. Josh is a previous employee of the LC Attorney’s Office. With Josh currently working at the office it will be a smooth transition once I officially take office in January.”
21. Adjourn – Motion by Rick Blackburn 2nd by Michael (Mouse) Halcomb.
The next regular scheduled Fiscal Court Meeting will be on Tuesday December 20, 2022 at the LC Courthouse Downtown Louisa, Kentucky at 10AM.
$750,000 Blaine Fire Dept. Resolution
Nurse Practitioners Week
Nothing from Mr Blackburn about helping the city out.
I feel sorry for the employees