LOUISA CITY COUNCIL meets for regular August meeting, sets property tax rates
By Susan Salyer
On Tuesday August 9, 2022 The Louisa City Council held its Regular Scheduled AUGUST Meeting at 7PM at Louisa City Hall, Louisa, Kentucky. Mayor Harold Slone was in attendance along with Louisa City Council Members Gary Robertson, Lisa Schaeffer, Tom Parsons and Joey McClanahan. Council Members Matt Brown and Ashley Caudill were absent.
Mayor Harold Slone called the meeting and followed the Agenda.
1. Call to Order
2. Approved Minutes for July 19, 2022 – Motion by Joey McClanahan 2nd by Tom Parsons. None opposed.
3. Ordinance, “Ordinance Closing Portions of Franklin Street Pursuant to KRS 82.405” –
The City of Louisa will close portions of Franklin Street and proceed ahead with landowner to exchange property and will take approximately 2 months for proper procedures through court to occur, attorney Eldred “Bud” Adams said. “The City of Louisa will have access to the property and riverfront.” Motion by Joey McClanahan 2nd by Gary Robertson. None opposed.
4. Set motor vehicle and watercraft tax rate – This tax rate has not changed in 15 years it is .238% Motion by Tom Parsons 2nd by Gary Robertson. None opposed.
5. Set Property Tax Rate for 2022 – The Tax Rate for Property is .240% (20 cents on the $100.) and has not changed since 2019. None opposed.
6. 2022-2023 Budget Adjustments – There were Budget Adjustments because there was a dropped zero that changed totals. Louisa City Clerk Kathy Compton found the error and adjusted accordingly. Motion by Tom Parsons 2nd by Joey McClanahan. None opposed.
7. Council comments –
Mayor Harold Slone announced that the City of Louisa would like to donate to the Lawrence County Septemberfest this year. The City covers the costs of port- a- pots for Septemberfest every year but has never been able to donate to Septemberfest before, Slone, who is also head of the Septemberfest Committee, said.
Slone and the committee have landed some terrific acts for next month’s ‘fest including Lawrence County natives Ricky Scaggs, Noah Thompson and Larry Cordle and many more. It promises to be a challenge handling the crowd at this year’s event..
The Louisa City Council decided to donate $2500 this year. Motion by Joey McClanahan and 2nd by Lisa Schaeffer. None opposed.
8. Audience comments – None.
9. Executive session – Louisa City Attorney Eldred E. (Bud) Adams said, “There was a lawsuit against the City of Louisa but it has been dropped.
10. Adjourn – Motion by Gary Robertson 2nd by Tom Parsons.
Next Louisa City Council Regular Meeting which will be held at Louisa City Hall, 215 N Main Cross St., Louisa Kentucky at 7PM. (The second Tuesday each month)
Why does Mr.Brown run for council and never attends the meetings.
He needs to resign.
Vote him out I think they have a election every 4 years. I don’t think it pays much if any I know they just started paying the mayor about 4 or 5 years ago. I just wish the other tax collectors would keep the same rate.
Mr. Blackburn needs to help the city residents out and kick back some of that money the county collects off the city residents. I been looking for him to see if he has been working on city roads if can’t get him to do it now before election not going to happen.
Too busy with his cult
Are you talking about the Trumpsters ?
You mean ” for” not ” foe”…. spell check.