The area's leading online source for news!
Louisa-Lawrence Co, KY

In God We Trust - Established 2008

Menu

 

Rep. Alecia Webb-Edgington touts passage of House Bill 313


 

FRANKFORT, Ky. (March 8, 2011) – House Bill 313, legislation clarifying where individuals with a concealed carry permit can store a weapon in a motor vehicle, cleared its final hurdle on March 4 and now goes to the governor for his signature. 

 

Rep. Alecia Webb-Edgington, R-Fort Wright (63rd District), the state’s former Homeland Security Director who retired at the rank of Major from the Kentucky State Police, who is one of the primary sponsors of this legislation said, “This bill provides clear and unambiguous language defining where law abiding citizens can carry a concealed weapon, loaded or unloaded, in their car of truck.”

 

Rep. Webb-Edgington continued, “My colleagues and I determined that it was necessary for clarification of the language after courts interpreted the current statute which refers to a ‘glove compartment’ to literally mean a compartment cut into the dashboard on the passenger side of the motor vehicle.  This legislation will allow permit holders to place their firearm in a console or manufacturer installed compartments inside the vehicle.”

 

Rep. Webb-Edgington, a long time firearms advocate said, “When the concealed carry permit legislation was passed I believe it was the intent of the General Assembly to include consoles and other enclosures.  But, given the interpretation of the courts I felt it was necessary to leave no question as to the rights of Kentucky gun owners.”

 

Posted by Michael Goins

Director of Media Relations & Social Media

House Republican Leadership 

 

 

Fifty-five Individuals Charged; Major, Long-Term Undercover Operation Takes More Than One Hundred Guns and a Half-Million Dollars In Drugs Off of the Streets of Huntington

 

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – U.S. Attorney Booth Goodwin, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Special Agent in Charge Paul J. Vido and Huntington Police Department Chief W.H. SkipHolbrook, along with several members from the law enforcement community joined today to announce a major, long-term undercover law enforcement effort targeting the Fairfield West area of Huntington.

A total of 55 defendants have been charged with federal crimes including illegal firearm possession, drug trafficking and other offenses. Arrest warrants have been issued for each individual involved in the criminal activity.

The criminal probe began in April 2010, targeting numerous traffickers of stolen firearms and individuals who participated in illegal drug transactions in and around Huntington. The investigation, conducted by federal and local agents, resulted in the seizure of illegal drugs with a street value of over $500,000 and more than 100 firearms.

U.S. Attorney Booth Goodwin stated, When I took office the middle of last year, I made fighting violent drug crime in Huntington my top priority. This operation, charging 55 defendants, underscores the substantial ongoing effort that we are making to help the citizens of Fairfield West and the city of Huntington take back their streets.

More than 200 federal, state and local agents took part in the firearms and narcotics take-down effort. The defendants include drug traffickers, members and associates of drug trafficking organizations, convicted felons, as well as several local gang members.

Because of the hard work and dedication of the undercover agents, 110 firearms and over one half million dollars of illegal drugs were taken off the streets of Huntington, ATF Special Agent in Charge Paul J. Vido said. Today’s enforcement actions proved that ATF will do everything in our power to protect our neighborhoods and communities. Criminals beware and be prepared to face the consequences.

Huntington Police Department Chief W.H. Skip Holbrook stated, This operation is a testament to how much can be accomplished in a coordinated effort. This operation deals a major blow to the criminal element here in Huntington. This is a great day for the citizens of Fairfield West, the city of Huntington and this region as a whole.

R. Booth Goodwin II, United States Attorney

Contact: Melvin Smith

800-659-8726*(304)345-2200

 

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 

 


The first NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Kentucky Speedway now has title sponsor and a name - the Quaker State 400. The announcement that Quaker State will sponsor the July 9 race was made Sunday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.


"It's a relief," Kentucky Speedway general manager Mark Simendinger said. "But it's also got us excited because of who the company is. They bring a lot to the table. As sports marketers, you love to have a relationship with somebody that's got a lot of capacity and touches a lot of consumers."


Kentucky Speedway is the first new venue brought onto the Cup Series schedule in a decade and the search for a title sponsor for the inaugural race focused on national companies, Simendinger said.

Quaker State agreed to a multi-year deal.

"It's a great market for us and our brands," said Steve Reindl, Quaker State's general manager of business and consumer sales.

While financial terms were not disclosed, an industry expert estimated last week the entitlement for the inaugural race could command between $1 million and $2 million.

"They obviously get mentioned in all the media that the event buys to promote the race - radio ads, print ads, TV ads," said William Chipps, senior editor of IEG Sponsorship Report.

Beyond the media exposure, race sponsors also can benefit from fan loyalty, he said.

"Fans recognize that without a sponsor's involvement their favorite driver may not be able to race on a Saturday or Sunday," Chipps said. "

Quaker State is not new to NASCAR.

It has a longstanding technical partnership with powerhouse Hendrick Motorsports. The team fields cars in the Cup Series for reigning five-time champion Jimmie Johnson, four-time champion Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Mark Martin.

Martin has 40 career victories in NASCAR's top division. Quaker State will be the primary sponsor on his No. 5 Chevrolet for the 400-mile race at Kentucky Speedway and a handful of others.

"I think it's a great sign of the times for NASCAR to have Quaker State upping their involvement in the sport," Martin said. "It's exciting to see what I consider the recovery that we're experiencing in the sport."

The race at Kentucky Speedway will cap a tripleheader NASCAR weekend that includes a 225-mile Camping World Truck Series race July 7 and a 300-mile Nationwide Series race July 8.

It is scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m. on July 9 and is expected to draw more than 100,000 fans with many more watching the live telecast on TNT or listening on the radio.

"There's no doubt in my mind, knowing the kind of exposure that we're going to get, for a company like Quaker State to be on for the inaugural year is a huge, huge benefit and it's something that they see as a huge asset," Simendinger said. "They know how much exposure is going to be on this race. Not only regionally, but nationally."

Speedway Motorsports Inc. is spending $82 million on a massive expansion and renovation project to get the facility ready.

The project includes construction of two 19,000-seat grandstand towers that will increase the grandstand seating capacity to roughly 106,000, the relocation of pit road closer to the grandstands and the expansion of camping areas in the infield and outside the track.

Ticket sales for the Quaker State 400 have been strong, Simendinger said, and all of the existing luxury suites already have been sold. The track is working on a plan to install temporary suites to meet the demand.

"It's going to sell out," Simendinger said. "Just the way the numbers are going right now, it's going to sell out."

Posted by By Kevin Kelly

The Kentucky Enquirer