The area's leading online source for news!
Louisa-Lawrence Co, KY

In God We Trust - Established 2008


DECEMBER 20, 2017

FRANKFORT, Ky. (Dec. 18, 2017) – Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is reminding registered voters who wish to vote in another party's May 2018 Primary Election or be a candidate as a member of another political party in the 2018 elections that they must change their registration no later than Dec. 31, 2017.

UPDATE:  January 30, 2018 is the deadline to register to run for office in the May 22, 2018 primary election.

"2018 is a major election year in the Commonwealth. Kentuckians will elect officials at every level – from Congress to the General Assembly to all county offices," said Grimes, Kentucky’s chief election official. "Kentucky has closed primaries, and we want to make sure all eligible Kentuckians are qualified to vote in the primary election of their choice."

Voters can change or update their registration at Kentucky's one-stop online voter portal,

Under Kentucky law, to be qualified to vote in a partisan primary election, a voter must have been a member of that party on Dec. 31 of the year prior or a new voter who has not changed their affiliation. Voters who change party affiliation after the Dec. 31 deadline are not eligible to vote in partisan races in the Primary Election, but they may vote in nonpartisan races on the Primary ballot.

The Dec. 31 deadline also affects prospective candidates in the 2018 elections. To be qualified as a party or independent candidate in a regular election, a candidate's registration status generally must be established by Dec. 31 of the prior year, per Kentucky law.

Voters can verify their current registration status at To change party affiliation, voters may make the change on the online portal, or complete a voter registration card and return it to the county clerk in their county of residence. Registration forms are available at county clerks' offices.

Registration forms submitted by mail, in person, or electronically must be received by the county clerk by the deadline. Individuals who prefer to make the change in person should check with their county clerks' offices regarding hours of operation during the holiday season.


Add comment

Security code